Happy English Language Day! We thought we would use today to celebrate one of the most popular English dishes, the Victoria Sponge! The classic food was beaten by favourites like fish and chips, Sunday roast and apple crumble but still ranked high as one of Britain’s favourite desserts.
Why not wow your family or become the most popular person at the office by making the ultimate Victoria sponge:
4 medium eggs
225g of caster sugar
225g of self-raising flour
2 tsp of baking powder
225g of margarine or soft butter at room temperature plus some extra to grease your tins so the cake doesn’t stick
Strawberry or raspberry jam
Icing sugar (for decoration)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Grease and line 2 sandwich tins, make sure they’re the same size so you don’t end up with a wonky cake.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the sugar, flour, baking powder and butter/margarine.
- Keep mixing until it is soft and can fall off a spoon easily.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins, this doesn't need to be exact but try to have around the same amount in both tins.
- Place the tins on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Don't be tempted to open the door every minute as this could effect the rise on the cakes but after 20 minutes, look through the door to check on them
- When the cakes are done, they should golden-brown and springy to the touch. Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool in their tins for five minutes. Then remove the cakes from the tin and set aside to cool completely.
- To put the cake together, place one cake upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of jam and whipped cream and then add the other on top and sprinkle with icing sugar.
You can play around with the menu to make it perfect for your dietary needs! Like using gluten free flour for coeliacs or switching out eggs for almond or coconut milk for a vegan Victoria sponge!
However, if you’re not exactly Mary Berry in the kitchen, why not treat yourself to some of our pastries and desserts at Autumn Yard! Like our delicious Brownie or Banana Loaf, which are both gluten-free!
See all of our options right here!